Heat rises and tends to stratify. The air curtain will cause the air to circulate, eliminating the stratification; this helps to reduce heating costs. The directing of a space heater toward the air curtain intake, if practical, will assist this action and minimize any cold drafts by bringing the warm air down to floor level with sufficient velocity and at the same time will prevent cold air from entering the building, thus saving on energy bills.
Air Curtain FAQ's?
Operation & Performance
Accessories & Options
Many of the MARS air curtains are available in both heated and unheated versions. In most cases, Mars offers four different heating methods: steam or hot water coil, electric and indirect gas-fired. Each offers its own distinct benefits and features.
You really need a heated
A The answer is maybe not. Your Mars Air Door effectively creates an efficient insulation barrier between two environments. It's approximately 80% - 90% efficient. It does so by creating a stiff blast of air blowing down from the unit towards the floor. This blast of air create an invisible barrier separating the two environments.
If you have people working near or walking through this moving air, they may feel a breeze. This could cause a wind chill effect, similar to the cooling effects of a blowing fan during the summer. Adding a heated air curtain unit will minimize this effect and make for a comfortable and more productive work place for your employees and customers.
Should your facility be located in a cold weather environment creating significant temperature differences between the outside versus the inside temperature, a Mars Air Door heated unit will significantly improve the work environment comfort level and help maintain consistent temperature control. In addition, it will reduce overall utility and maintenance costs by providing a more constant inside temperature.
OK, that makes
sense. So I've decided
that I need a heated
unit. Which one do I
choose; gas, electric,
hot water or steam?
A The general rule of thumb is to choose the same type of heat used to heat your facility, however, there may be some exceptions. For example: if your facility is steam heated, but the connection to the steam lines is too far, inconvenient or expensive, it may be more feasible to choose gas or electric.
To ensure that we install the correct heating method and proper heating outputs for you, we highly recommend consulting with your friendly Mars factory representatives first for proper selection.
A door limit switch activates the air curtain when a door is opened and turns it off when the door is closed. When the door is shut, the switch’s contacts are held open. When the door is opened, the contacts are closed, thereby turning the air curtain on. Generally, a door limit switch is installed when a door is intermittently in use, such as over receiving and cold storage doorways. It is preferable to allow the air curtain to operate continuously and not to install a door limit switch if there is heavy in and out traffic. When using a door limit switch a motor control panel is recommended for all three-phase motors and single phase motors with combined capacities of more than 1HP.
Yes. Our combination door limit switch is both a roller and plunger all-in-one and can be used on most hinged, rolling, and sliding doors. We have additional switches available for larger doors, industrial settings, or clean, almost invisible applications.
A motor control panel is an enclosure containing the equipment to start electric motors, usually mounted on the wall near the air curtain to be controlled. The equipment consists of motor starters, a transformer for the control circuit, terminal blocks, and other components to meet specific requirements. It is also used to start, stop, and protect the motors in the air curtains. Motor control panels are available as an option and can be manufactured to meet any requirement. All electric heated models contain a motor control panel as standard equipment. All Mars motor control panels are U.L. Listed.
Yes. Filters can be used in conjunction with or instead of louvers. Filters are used when there is an excessive amount of dust and dirt in the air. All Mars NSF Certified models feature a washable aluminum filter as standard. Filters are also supplied with the LPN25-F, LPN28-F and LPN30-F service window models.
The EP models have stainless steel fans. Our other models, and all heated models, have galvanized steel fans, except the LoPro Series models which are aluminum.
What Are The Main Advantages Of The Mars Air Doors Brand Air Curtains?
- All housings are one piece, as specified by architects. Some are used in tandem for larger sized doors.
- C, CH, CHS, models have PolyMars housings. PolyMars housings are advantageous for various climates and décor.
- A variety of over 250 compact models to fit any size doorway in unheated and electric, gas, steam and hot water-heated models.
- Heavy duty totally enclosed motors. All other components are of the highest quality to provide long life and trouble-free service. Two speed motors available as an option. Three speed ½ HP motors are standard equipment on all models. Three-phase motors in single-speed only.
- All motors have a one second motor start to full capacity operation.
- Easy to install and maintain by removing two wing nuts and quickly lifting out the entire motor/fan assembly. Mars originated this "One Man installation" design.
- Designed to fit over doorways up to 12’ wide. Can be used in multiples for wider openings.
- Motor/fan assemblies are interchangeable in various models.
- Contain air directional and velocity controls for field adjustments. This is imperative for climate control and over refrigeration doorways.
- Five year parts guarantee on all models except heated, WindGuard models, and Wind Stopping models, which have an eighteen month guarantee. These are the longest guarantees in our industry.
- Freight paid to destination or port of embarkation anywhere within the continental United States (gas-heated and WindGuard models excluded).
- All unheated and electric heated air curtains are UL Listed. Unheated air curtains are also C.U.L. Listed and/or Canadian Standards Association Certified. Gas heated air curtains consist of a UL Listed air curtain equipped with an American Gas Association design-certified duct furnace.